Weekly Reflection #3 This week was another adventure again because it was our first full week of living and weeding on the farm. Spending the entire week on Tortola was really cool because we really got to explore the island. We have had an amazing time in our bungalow and have discovered tons of new diving sites. This week, we really accomplished our goal in mastering scuba diving. This goal was especially realized on Friday when we dove with two newly certified divers and one diver who had not gone again for 30 years. Compared to them, who were really struggling with the simplest pieces of diving, such as descending, I felt that we had come a long way. I have noticed myself improve as a diver in my spatial awareness and how long I can get my tank to last—where at the beginning of the trip, I would return with 900 psi, I now return with around 1300 psi because I have learned to control my breathing more. Meanwhile, on the farm, I have learned a that organic farming is a lot of work. After spending many hours painfully weeding garden beds in the sun because the farm does not use any chemicals on their plants and raise their produce 100 percent organically, I understand why good produce is so expensive. A lot of work goes into growing everything here, and a lot of the time, not all of it makes it. But the produce that does make it is so delicious. We have been given produce to eat and it is so delicious, everything is so much more plentiful in flavor. It would be incredible if everything we ate were grown this way, but it is a lot of work and couldn’t feed a whole country. This farm and many organic farms are quite small. Drake, we have been working with is so impressive. He works round the clock tending to everything on the farm. He works right though the heat, which we hide from by rising early. It was cool to work alongside him and learn about his pride he had for the farm. I had a lot of fun this week. Each day was rewarding and a new experience. I went to bed each day very tired, and very early because we have to get up so early. The diving was incredible as well. It was cool to read the journals people have left in the bungalow of their experiences on the farm and in Tortola and know that we will be adding to them. This project has been such a unique experience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog